Sunday, November 23, 2014

Thanksgiving Countdown

Double double,  boil and trouble
Thanksgiving may be Thursday, but I've been making food for four or five days now.

Today's adventures included Apple Cider Caramels from the Smitten Kitchen. (Deb Perelman is a god, by the way.) Do you say kair-uh-mel or car-mul?

The best part of making caramels? Feeling like a witch over a cauldron as the concentrated liquid love grows and grows and grows in the pot on the stove. The color deepens as the sugars, well, caramelize.

I would make an excellent witch, mostly because I heed carefully constructed and documented scientific procedures. Heat the potion to precisely 252 degrees Fahrenheit? Check. Remove from heat and stir in final ingredients? Check. Chill in refrigerator for an hour, then cut into precise one-inch squares? I got this.

Go ahead. Try one. I promise it isn't poison. 




No comments:

Post a Comment