Monday, November 17, 2014

Gym Barbie

The day of our first boot camp, the original derby wife and I approach the training room at our YMCA. The metal door has a small square window placed at eye level, like the door of a padded room. One nervous look through the window shows us that it is, indeed, a padded room. The floor's covered in 2-inch thick exercise mats. Weights and other devices of torture line the walls.

Despite our own self-protective instincts, we walk into the room to meet our instructor. We take great care to brief her on our special needs: Wifey has short bones and a hypermobile body; I broke my tailbone playing roller derby like a boss. She can't do certain arm exercises; I'm allergic to lunges.

Class begins with a series of exercises; remarkably, we keep up. This isn't so bad. I can do this. Then Instructor explains that this was our warm-up. Wait. This was just the warm-up? Should I be ready to go home already?

I'm looking longingly at my water bottle when Gym Barbie enters the room. Just as I'm wondering if it means anything that already I would trade State secrets for a drink, she breezes in without a care and joins us on the mats. I drink it all in; her skinny frame, her shiny hair, her skin-tight crop pants, her halter-style sports bra. Christ, the swoosh of her Nikes matches the graceful swoop of pink ribbon on her pants. She doesn't even bother putting up her hair before jumping in.

Class continues; I flail my parts around roughly the same way Instructor demonstrated. My body pulses with pain and exhaustion. I hear grunting. Is someone whining? Wait, that's all me. Gym Barbie isn't grunting. Rather than dragging deep, erratic breaths in through her mouth like a dying mummy, she's taking controlled breaths—in through the nose, out through the mouth. Her exhales are cute little bursts of air, almost a whistle.

We begin a new set of exercises with one-minute planks. I plant my palms on the mat and lift up onto my toes. In fascination, I watch as sweat rains off my face. My hands struggle to say in place; they squeak against the mat as my wet palms slide outward. I sneak a look at Gym Barbie; she looks like she could stay like this all day. Not only is she not pouring sweat all over the mat, but her hair is hanging around her head, dry as when she walked in the door.

Burn the witch.

Now Instructor wants us to do tricep dips. I wedge myself in front of a chair, palms on its seat, doing a sort of reverse pushup. I am no longer in control of the noises coming from my body. Gym Barbie is still breathing steadily. Finally, she emits a noise that hints at how hard we're working. A tiny little grunt, followed by stacatto syllables timed perfectly with her little dips, “Woo! I...hun...ger...for...the pain!” 

I can't decide whether she represents what I hope to someday be, if her presence pushes me to perform better, or if she exists merely to taunt me with what I can never be. I do know one thing for sure. 

I hate her.


9 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha ha. This was hilarious. And I am probably in your camp on this one. I hate Gym Barbie too ;)

    Popping by from the Yeah Write Grid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    Gym Barbie haunts me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Oh yes, Gym Barbie is a familiar figure of envy for me too. Sadly, she's also a dear friend, so I don't hate her… but I do look askance at her every.single.time. Very funny piece, nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Class continues; I flail my parts around roughly the same way Instructor demonstrated." Omg this...I can relate all too well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL yes. Definitely hate gym Barbie too. Give yourself a pat on the back though, sounds like you kept up with her and I bet you could take if you wanted to! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story has been working out at the gym and has serious muscle. Nicely done. Love a perfectly emphatic 3 word paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If only she had slipped a little or hit her teeth on the rim of her Perrier bottle, then maybe, just maybe she'd be forgiven.

    ReplyDelete